Friday, March 13, 2009

I don't believe in love- I think

*Love is here, Love is now. Love is pouring from His hands, from His brow.*

I've been thinking (surprise surprise), and I'm not sure humans can love.

There's some philosopher who speculated that 98% of human actions is motivated by sexual desire.

Now, that being said, from everything I've seen, love is completely chemical and hormonal. Teens will say 'I'm in love with you' because their hormones are raging, thus tricking them into thinking they are in love.

Does this mean all feelings of love are chemical? Like my previous questions on good and evil, is love purely in the mind due to chemicals like pheromones and adrenaline?

This brings me to my next thought: Did God create humans as creatures who understand good, evil, and love through science? Did God create human beings as unique creatures because they understand these things through scientific chemical means?

While God and his angels understand true love and the notions of good(right) and evil(wrong) through the soul, do humans subconsciously understand these things through the way God has created the chemicals in the mind? And, more importantly, does this mean that God and Evil, in the human world, are very physical things?

It's been proven that by altering chemicals in people's minds will affect their personalities. While this may sound very science-ee, the mots simple example would be anti-depressants. They help the brain release chemicals so that you are HAPPIER.

I know I come across very skeptical, and sort of like Brennan on "Bones", but I feel this is something important to think about. There's an episode of the Mentalist where a company claims to have created a "Morality Engine". It's a machine that can stimulate a person's mind so that they are actually good or evil. While the end of the episode reveals that the machine is a fake and they were paying off the testers, it does raise the question: could a person be manipulated into being good or evil? And, drawing on my last entry, what are good and evil?

I believe that Jesus Christ, as a son of God, was definitely capable of true, non-chemical based love. His love was God's love. His love was REAL love. Jesus' love didn't come from chemicals in the brain. Jesus Christ-Yeshua's- love didn't come from anything but true love. That's why he died for us.

So, are humans capable of the same kind of love?

1 comment:

  1. The doctrine of imago Dei says that human beings are made in the image of God, and that should mean they are capable of the same kind of love He has. Of course, it's imperfect, but nothing about humanity has perfection written on it. And I think you have to differentiate between "in love" and "love." It's been scientifically proved that "in love" is more of a chemical condition than anything else-that 98% you mentioned. I heard somewhere it lasts 6 months before the sparks fizzle out. But "love" is definitely not chemical. "Love" is a conscious choice to remain by a person's side because you care about them as a person and want to stay with them; this is more like the agape love that God has. Yes, with humanity agape is often intermingled with eros, but that's how God designed it. So, I think that humans are capable of true love and that it's actually a heart and soul emotion.

    ReplyDelete